The Map and Government Information Library offers several scanning options for its users. Most materials from our collections can be scanned depending on its condition; brittle, fragile and/or damaged items may not be scanned.
Map and Government Information Library staff reserves the right to determine if an item can be scanned. For more information, read our Large-Format Scanning policy.
The University of Georgia complies with copyright law as interpreted by the University System Board of Regents. For further information about copyright please visit the USG Copyright Policy page.
Epson 11 x 17 Flatbed Scanner
- The Map and Government Information Library has one 11 x 17 flatbed scanner that can accommodate paper, negatives, and slides.
- Flatbed scanning is self-service on a first-come, first-served basis. Users may be asked to limit their time on the scanner if others are waiting.
- Scanned images can be saved to disk, USB drive, CD-ROM, or sent via e-mail (depending on file size); users must provide their own media for transporting images.
Contex HD5450 Large Format Scanner
NOTE: Large-format scanning is not self-service. Map and Government Information Library staff members will perform all large-format scanning.
Requests for scanned materials can be made via the MAGIL Scan Request Form, in person at the MAGIL desk, via phone or email.
The large-format scanner can accommodate materials up to 54 inches.
Complimentary large-format scanning of materials from the UGA Libraries’ collection is available for UGA students, faculty, and staff for educational/research-related projects, course assignments, or presentations. For all other scan requests there is a flat fee of $10.00 per scan, which applies to non-UGA patrons as well as UGA patrons with non-educational requests.
Files created by this scanner are generally too large to email. Files can be retrieved in two ways:
- Files can be uploaded to OneDrive; instructions for retrieving files will be sent by email; or
- Users can supply their own USB drive, CD or DVD to transport digital files.
- Due to workflow concerns the maximum number of items the Map and Government Information Library staff will scan per user is 10 per day or 25 per week.
- The Map and Government Information Library does not scan large format items that are not part of the collections of the UGA Libraries. Other local options are available.
- Payment can be made via credit card or check (made payable to UGA Libraries).
- Scans will be made available within three (3) business days of the request.